Dal 1999, in viaggio con i tuoi amici a 4 zampe
Dal 1999, in viaggio con i tuoi amici a 4 zampe


The rules you must follow to get to Italy with a dog, a cat or a ferret

Travel to Italy with a pet
Reisen in Italien mit Haustieren
Emmener un animal domestique en Italie
Viajar a Italia con tu mascota
Отдых в Италии с домашними животными

PETS - PEt Travel Scheme Europe - Travel to Italy with a dog, cat or ferret

For foreign people who want to travel to Italy and other European Countries with a pet (dog, cat, ferret) from a NON-EU Country:


Step 1

  • Your pet has to be marked with a EU-compliant RFID microchip (ISO 11784)
  • Your pet has to be vaccinated against rabies AFTER having been microchipped.
    The vaccine is considered active after 21 days.

NOTE: if your pet has a tattoo ID, it's considered a valid identification IF it was done until july 3, 2011 but it must be clearly readable. In case of doubt, it is mandatory having your pet microchipped.

If the RFID microchip is not ISO 11784 compliant, the owner of the animal or the person who takes care of the animal must provide an adequate microchip reader as required in Annex A (ISO 11785)

Step 2

Verify if your Country is included in the third Countries List as in 576/577 EU Regulation (rabies-free Countries)

If it is, go to step 3A
If it's not, scroll forward to step 3B.


Step 3A

If the Country from where you come from is included in the list above, you have to follow these instructions:  


Step 3B

If your Country is NOT included in the list above, you have to follow these instructions:

  • 30 days after the vaccination if it has been the first antirabies vaccine inoculated to your pet
    21 days days after the vaccination if it has been a booster, 
    your vet will have to take a blood (serum) sample that must be sent to an approved UE lab in order to have an antirabies antibodies titulation, which has to reach at least 0,5 Ul/ml. You will receive from the lab your certification.
    You can find the info about the Authorized Labs below, and you can also download the appropriate request form for the test if you want to send the blood sample in Italy
  • This must be done at least 3 months before arriving in Italy or another EU Country
  • Finally, an (official) veterinarian must fill up the following form:
  • You also have to fill up this form
  • You must enter in Italy by a BIP (Border Inspection Point)

If your pet has already got a rabies antibodies titulation, you MUST submit your pet to his antirabies booster EVERY 11 MONTHS in order to keep the validity of the test.


Authorized EU Labs for activated rabies antibodies test:


Rest of the world (Australia, Brasil, Chile, China, Israel, Japan, Korea, Macedonia, Mexico, Russia, Serbia, South Africa, Tunisia, Turkey, USA)


Request form

It must be completely filled up in addition to the blood (serum: it's not mandatory to send it refrigerated) sample that must be sent to an UE authorized lab: click here [thanks to ISZV]


Main EU authorized Lab in Italy

Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie 
Via Romea 14/A
I-35020 Legnaro
Ph / Fax: +39 049 8084 259 / 8830 530
E-mail: [email protected]


Other EU authorized Labs in Italy

Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale Dell'Abruzzo e del Molise G. Caporale
Via Campio Boario
I-64100 Teramo
Ph / Fax: +39 0861 3321 / 332251
E-mail: [email protected]

Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale del Lazio e della Toscana 
Via Appia Nuova 1411
I-00178 Roma Capannelle
Ph / Fax: +39 06 79099 1 / 79340724
E-mail: [email protected]

Veterinary custom point in Milan Malpensa Airport - Tel. +39/02/58583410
Veterinary custom point in Rome Fiumicino Airport - 
Tel. +39/06/65953992 - 65956072
Veterinary custom point in Ancona Falconara Airport - Tel. +39/071/55341

Updated and valid in 2017